Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Alternative Endings and Eating Humble Pie


Sometimes there is a difference of opinion on what the transformation character in our WantsToBe books should look like. In our recently published book, The Elephant Who Wanted to Be a Bee, we had that dilemma. By the time everyone put in their 2 cents worth, I had created several versions. Here are the ones that didn't make the cut.

I have learned it is always best to show your work before you make it public. Without going into details, I don't always portray what I am trying to and another pair of eyes has saved me many times. One of Valerie's young sons pointed out that I had made the alligator in our next book the wrong color (coming soon-The Alligator Who Wanted to Be a Dog). After looking up the difference between an alligator and crocodile on Wikipedia, I discovered he was right.

So thanks to my boys who patiently respond to my endless times asking them, "What do you think?" And when they really tell me, I have learned to quiet the thoughts that I'm the professional here and know what I am doing. Eating humble pie makes for a better story.

No comments:

Post a Comment